Monday, September 29, 2014

Fall Bucket List


Fall is not my favorite season. I don't have bad feelings toward autumn, oh no, it's just Spring has always been the one to hold a soft spot in my heart. And yet, I'm finding myself reconsidering.

It may have something to do with living in Florida. OK, it has everything to do with living in Florida. I am so over hot, humid, sticky, oppressive, don't-want-to-leave-the-house weather. I'm fully ready for crisp air and cool breezes that call for layers and boots. More than ready, I am eager to welcome fall with open arms and an unusual amount of glee. The anticipation is killing me.

So, while waiting for Florida to catch up with the calendar, I decided to channel my new season enthusiasm into something productive: A Fall Bucket List. Here, in no particular order, is what I hope to accomplish over the next few months:


1. Use our beautiful, new enameled cast iron pot (in teal!) to whip up a hearty soup. This colorful chicken and butternut squash stew is packed with flavor in the form of good-for-you ingredients (plus, I pinned it on my Foodie Fixations board ages ago so I finally need to make it!).


2. Visit some of St. Pete’s many museums. I bought a LivingSocial deal for The Chihuly Collection (I’ve loved Dale Chihuly since seeing an exhibit of his work at my college’s on-campus museum) but I’d also love to check out the Museum of Fine Arts and The Dali.



3. Explore the bay area. Since the weather should be cooling down soon, with less humid days and nights, I’m looking forward to forsaking air-conditioned buildings and enjoying the outdoors. I just learned of the Tampa Riverwalk and it looks like a fun (romantic, even) place for a sunset stroll and watching the neon city lights dancing on the water.


4. Pick our own fall veggies. I wish I could go apple picking but, alas, I live in Florida and it seems there is no apple picking opportunities here, at least not near me. But, I can go zucchini and squash picking, which is a good runner-up option in my book. The hubs and I can eat tons of the stuff. Sweetfields Farms, which also boasts a pumpkin patch and beautiful barn, sounds promising, and there’s a corn maze—though I’m not sure if exploring a five-acre labyrinth will be fun, frustrating or frightening.



5. Browse the St. Pete Indie Market, a street fair showcasing local artists and makers on the first Saturday of every month in the heart of downtown St. Petersburg. I missed September’s market so I’m hoping we can make it to the October installment this Saturday (before the Pup Crawl).

6. Bake an apple pie, or any of its rustic variations: tart, galette, crostata. They all sound good! This apple mosaic tart with salted caramel looks divine and impressive, but the recipe is deceptively simple. My favorite kind.



What's on your fall bucket list?


(Top image found on Pinterest, edited by me)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips