Friday, January 2, 2015

Goal Digger : Making It Happen in 2015


Happy New Year! Hello, 2015! I ended 2014 with a bang and as a result spent January 1st in recovery mode, on the couch, in PJs, eating Chinese food. Perhaps not exactly the way I wanted to start the new year but, oh well. Today is a new day. And while yesterday wasn't the most productive, I did do one productive thing related to my resolution to be bold, to live with intent, and make things happen: I started reading Lara Casey's new book, "Make it Happen: Surrender Your Fear, Take the Leap, Live on Purpose."

On New Year's Eve, I downloaded the e-book, my first purchase on the Kindle Fire my husband got me for Christmas, and last night, with my hangover finally subsided, I figuratively cracked open the pages.


I'm only on page 35 so far. I've read through chapter one (Stop Chasing Perfect) of section one (Surrender Your Fear) and yet Lara's words already have me feeling uplifted and motivated. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows. The book compels you to face what has been holding you back. In chapter one, I had to think about and write down how "chasing perfect" makes me feel and believe about myself (inadequate), what I am really striving for (happiness, success, significance), what my life would look like if I thew out the "shoulds" (freedom!) and what has stopped me from taking a leap of faith (fear of failure). I also had to answer that seemingly simple but not-always-so-easy-to-answer question, "How are you?" with uncomfortable honesty (a little lost, discontent, uninspired, unmotivated). Most of the time we put on the charade of perfection, that everything is "fine," but the only way one can truly move forward in a positive and productive way is to confront the issues that have been weighing down our body, heart and mind. And that's just what "Make It Happen" does, at least in the first 34 pages. Though I don't doubt there are more stop-and-make-me-think discussions to come.
The lies of perfection and shoulds tell us we aren't enough, but the truth paves a path for us to an abundant life of joy where we are more than enough. -Lara Casey, "Make It Happen"
At the end of chapter 1, there is a "Take Action" step to write a statement and place it somewhere you'll see every day. I'm also going to put it here:

I was created for a purpose, 
and it's time to make it happen!

In addition to reading "Make It Happen," I ordered a set of Lara's PowerSheets, a six-month supply of goal-planning and action-inspiring worksheets (105 in all!). In addition, I purchased Emily Ley's Home Base Binder Kit to keep them in and further help me get my life, and by proxy, my hubby's life, better organized. At first I thought the binder was something that would better serve a family, a couple with kids, but then I thought, what the heck. I need to be organized now with a system in place before I have kids! Which is a something G and I hope will happen in 2015.



I'm still waiting for the mailman to deliver my worksheets and binder, but I can't wait to receive them! Luckily, Lara recommends waiting to fill out the PowerSheets until you get to section four of the book, so I have some time. As Lara says, there's nothing magical about January 1. I'm not going to fail just because I didn't have all my ducks in a row yesterday. Setting and achieving goals is a journey, a process, and I am looking at the whole month of January as a season for just that.


I'm not necessarily planning on blogging about my whole "Make It Happen" journey, but I wanted to share with you today in case you are looking for some goal planning tools and resources. Even if you're not interested in the book, I'd highly suggest checking out Lara's blog, which is chock-full of inspiring, go-get-em content. (This would be a good place to start.) Not to mention beautiful downloads for your desktop to keep you motivated.

I particularly like these: Go & Do. Because Done is Better than Perfect. So true and yet so hard when you are a perfectionist like me. But I know I need to "stop chasing perfect" because, many times, it's fear of not being perfect that keeps me from getting anything done!


So here's to choosing PURPOSE over PERFECT in 2015. Cheers!

("Make It Happen" images via Lara Casey
Home Base Binder via Emily Ley
Goal Digger top image via Jenna Kutcher)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips