Monday, November 10, 2014

Miami Memories : Books & Bites on Lincoln Road

[ A colorful fountain at Lincoln Road Mall in Miami. ]
On our last day in Miami, after our morning walk along the beach, we headed over to Lincoln Road Mall to check out the stacks at Books & Books, considered the city's best bookstore, where we picked up Celebrity Cocktails, a large and chic Assouline volume, and the Penguin Drop Caps version of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass"

Once we had our fill of browsing luxury and unique titles, we walked around the outdoor "mall" that reminded this California girl a little bit of Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica. I pulled my hubby into Anthropologie for a spell because I'm powerless to resist its charms, and then we decided it was time for lunch. 

While I had thought we'd grab a bite at the Cafe at Books & Books, G and I passed by a Cuban restaurant, Havana 1957, and felt it only appropriate that we have some Cuban cuisine while in Miami. The meal began with a silver pail piled high with thin and crispy plantain chips and we quickly ordered up two mojitos: Clasico for the hubs, Fresh Kiwi for me. I am not a big mojito fan since they typically have too much mint for my liking (I don't enjoy slurping up leaves-- a cocktail is for drinking, not for chewing!), but these ones were perfect. Light, refreshing, not too sweet and just the right amount of mint delicately muddled in the bottom of our glasses. 

We weren't sure what entrees to choose but, with the help of our server, finally settled on some meats: Masa de Puerco Frita (fried cubed pork topped with grilled onions, served with moro rice and boiled yuca with Cuban mojo) for me and Vaca Frita (grilled shredded beef with onions in Cuban mojo, served with white rice and black beans) for the hubs.

Even though we are back home in St. Pete, I've put it on my list to find a fabulous Cuban restaurant here in the Tampa Bay area. (I haven't done my research yet but I'm certain there has to be something good locally.) When in Rome, right? Well, "when in Florida..."

[ A room of luxury titles at Books & Books. ]
[ G browsing the stacks at Books & Books. ] 
[ Wall of lovely, wise quotes at Books & Books. ] 
[ So many books! Including volumes of Flordiana. ] 
[ My dress seemed to fit in with the colors in this room of books. ] 
[ Perfect mojitos at Havana 1957, where mojito-lovers have endless options. ] 
[ Scenes from a Cuban lunch at Havana 1957. ]

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips