Thursday, October 2, 2014

Next-Level Avocado Toast


Unless you've been living under a rock, you have heard of avocado toast. It's all over social media, blogs, foodie websites and magazines. The combo is the "It" way to liven up a piece of toast.

In its simplest form, avocado toast is exactly what it sounds like: fresh avocado spread on crusty bread. And that's all well and good but I'm here today to tell you that, with a few simple additions, you can take avocado toast from great to ah-mazing. Something worthy of being called "dinner," as I did the other night.

Here's my quick and easy recipe, if you can even call it that, for "next-level" avocado toast:

1. Toast up some bread. A good quality loaf that's crusty on the outside and chewy on the inside is preferable, but almost anything will do in a pinch. An oat- and nut-laden whole grain bread from my supermarket bakery was my vehicle of choice the other day. I use the oven or a toaster depending on how many slices I'm making, and if I have the patience for the oven to preheat.

2. While the bread toasts, prepare the avocado. I scoop the flesh out of the skin and gently mash it in a bowl with a little lemon or lime juice for extra flavor and to keep my avo looking beautifully green. (Note: If making for a crowdand this is a killer party appetizeryou can class it up by cutting thin slices of avocado to then fan out on the toast. But the texture of mashed avocado on crusty bread is an unbeatable and comforting combo that I highly recommend.)

3. Once the toast is ready, immediately rub a clove of peeled garlic over the warm bread's crisp and craggy surface. This is the first step in creating layers of flavor that take this toast over the top.

4. Spread your avocado (mashed, sliced, chunked, you choose) on the garlicky toast.

5. Sprinkle generously with sea salt (avocado loves salt!), fresh-cracked pepper and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat. Finish with a glistening drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

6. Enjoy!


This avocado toast is wonderful as a snack, quick lunch or light dinner. It is also absolutely fabulous for breakfast with a poached or fried egg on top. Basically, you are going to want to eat it all the time. The hubs was still underway when I posted about my avocado toast dinner on Monday and when he saw the photo he was green with envy (ridiculous pun intended).

Do you love avocado toast? How do you make yours? If you've never tried it, I'm begging you: give it a go! It won't disappoint.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips