Friday, April 17, 2015

Outdoor Living : Small Patio & Balcony Inspiration


[ Source. ]

Every morning I take the dogs for a walk around our apartment complex and I always find myself admiring the way others have decorated their patios and balconies. The furniture they've chosen, the plants lining the perimeter. The way some of our neighbors have made the most of their small outdoor spaces and created their own semi-private sanctuary to hang out or have an evening cocktail. Can you sense a tinge of jealously in my voice? 

[ Our apartment balcony looks like this. Except we don't even have a chair! ]

Our balcony, which I'd estimate to be about 9x4.5 feet, is empty save for a sad fake fern and a gecko plant standboth remnants from my husband's bachelor days. (Plastic greenery and lizard-themed anything. Need I say more?) Even though we don't have the greatest view, situated right behind a supermarket, we do have some trees and pretty partial sunsets and it was always my intention when we moved in last June to spruce up our little slice of the outdoors. But we quickly found out we wouldn't be staying in St. Pete very long and it seemed fruitless and maybe even a bit frivolous to buy new patio furniture, hang lights, and pot plants and herbs when we'd be moving in less than a year. 

Yet, now that spring is here, I've found myself wishing on exceptionally gorgeous days that we had made the effort and investment to create an outdoor space we want to use. Our goal when we move to Jersey is to find a rental home with a backyardfor us and the dogs. (In the midst of writing this post, the hubs found out we have been released from military housing. Yay!) But even if we end up having to live in an apartment once again, I am determined to create an enviable, look-at-me patio or balcony. For when that time comes, I've rounded up some images to inspire us to make the most of whatever outdoor living space we have, no matter how small. My must-haves: color, texture, nature (succulents! herbs!), a sense of privacy, functionality... and that cozy, intimate, romantic vibe that makes you want to go sit outside and chill.

[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]

More inspiration for your patio or balcony, after the jump...



[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ] 
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]
[ Source. ]

Do you have a patio, balcony, or even a backyard? Do you often make use of your outdoor living space? I didn't realize how important it was to me until I didn't have it! Fingers crossed we find a house in Jersey with even a postage stamp-sized patio and yard.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips