Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Wedding Wednesdays : Getting Ready : The Bride


Since I recently got hitched, and have all the photos from the big day, I thought it would be fun to start a weekly series sharing my favorite images and memories, and maybe a few tips and resources along the way. If you're planning a wedding, make sure to check out "The Credits" at the end. Enjoy! 



I am not an early riser, but I woke up bright and early the morning of my wedding. After months of stress, plus the anticipation of the day ahead, a restful deep sleep eluded me.

So, at about 6:30 a.m., I quietly slipped out of the hotel bed I was sharing with my best friend and maid of honor and got to work on all the things still left to do: letting my dress out of its bag to breathe, writing thank you notes to my ‘maids and laying out their getting-ready robes and day-of jewelry, wrapping up the gift to my groom and penning him a pre-ceremony card, setting up my accessories and various other little details for the photographer to capture…

I was surprisingly cool and composed despite the emotional rollercoaster that was the day before. I wasn’t giddy though. I was doing my best to manage my fragile emotions by approaching everything I did as something to check off a list. Shower? Check. Teeth brushed? Check. Face moisturized? Check. All that stuff I mentioned above? Check x10.

My bridesmaids and mother arrived to my room, the makeup artist and hair stylist too, and the beautifying process began. The photographer and videographer showed up a bit later, and then the florist. The morning ran fairly smoothly and we seemed to be on schedule until a mini-crisis with my flower crown (which was pretty but not as I anticipated or described to my hair stylist) derailed us.

The serene demeanor I tried so hard to hold on to began to crumble in the frenzy of activity that followed—rushing to finish getting ready and dressed, open the gift from my husband-to-be, take photos, get down to the car to get to the first look… It was crazy and managing my emotions was nearly impossible in that last hour before leaving the room. I started crying before I even opened GT’s card!

Looking back, I wish I had not opted to have my makeup done last and that I could have enjoyed the whole getting-ready process more. And that I drank more Champagne, ha! I was too nervous but it probably would have helped ease my nerves. Nevertheless, I’m so thankful to my girls and my mom for not only forcing me to eat, getting me dressed and accessorized, and wiping the extra deodorant from under my arms (talk about a true friend!), but for keeping my spirits up during what was, for me, the most stressful part of the wedding day. (I envy those carefree brides who feel nothing but happiness and excitement! I’m too much of an emotional, over-analyzing worrier. But don’t you worry, the happiness and excitement kicked in at the ceremony.)

Now, more getting-ready photos, if you’d like to see…


























Yep, that last photo prettily captures the craziness.

Next week, I’ll share the groom’s perspective and getting-ready memories! That will be fun :)


THE CREDITS

RINGS: White Gold Engagement Ring and Custom Rose Gold Wedding Band by Ben Bridge | Men's Hammered Recycled Sterling Silver Wedding Band with Black Diamond by Point No Point Studio

BRIDE'S STYLE: Theia Wedding Dress and Untamed Petals Aimee Sash, both from Lovely Bride Los Angeles | Alfani Women's Kyrah Wedge Sandals in Dusty Rose (looks like they are no longer available) | Necklace and bracelets made by bride | Gemstone Dangle Earrings by Delezhen | Vintage Beaded Purse from Le Mollusque

'MAIDS' STYLE: Dresses from ModClothLuLu's and Express (all no longer available) | Necklaces and Earrings from Francesca's

DETAILS: Bride's Rustic Custom Wire Hanger with Flower by Highfills Hangers | Bridesmaid Personalized Hangers by The Heirloom Hanger | Getting-ready Crossover Kimono Robes by Silk and More | Custom Wood Ring Box by End Grain Wood Shoppe

FLORALS: Modern Bouquet
MAKEUP (Cheriene) and HAIR (Nicolette): Beauti on the Go
Getting-ready VENUE: Hotel La Jolla
PHOTOGRAPHY: heidi-o-photo

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, for wedding pictures!! I always love reading wedding recaps and can't wait to read more! I love the pastel feel of everything, but especially love your dress. And I too remember waking up crazy early the day of my wedding and basically dragging my bridesmaids out of bed. But there just seemed so much still to do that I couldn't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shoshanah! You're sweet. I definitely had a pastel color palette. I wanted something colorful but soft. I can't wait to share more photos! And that's funny about dragging your bridesmaids out of bed. I only had my MOH with me but when my other bridesmaids and even my mom didn't show up to my room right on time, I admit I got a little worried. Wedding day mornings sure are crazy busy and jam-packed! No sleeping in! :)

      Delete

 
Blogging tips